Monday, December 6, 2010

Is Boxing Dead?

John B. Marine | 12/06/2010 05:16:00 PM | |
Boxing. The Sweet Science. Rope-a-dope and kiss the canvas. To some people, though, boxing is dead. No really interesting fights or epic battles are there anymore. Some people just find nothing entertaining anymore about boxing. Many more think that mixed martial arts (MMAs) is the new boxing. No more of toe-to-toe slugfests, no more of boxers exchanging bombs to each others heads... mixed martial arts is the new boxing. At least there are still people still willing to put on a pair of boxing gloves and go boxing. Do you think boxing is dead? Let's set the mood with a picture:

boxing
^ from: irrelevantaxiom.wordpress.com - Is boxing dead? A lot of people would say so.


Most of the big time boxing matches are on pay-per-view. You can, however, see some free fights on cable/satellite. Some of them aren't even big-name fighters, but they do

I personally still like a good boxing match. I'm usually finding myself saying "get in there!" and "let him have it!"


Here are two of my personal favorite boxers:

Boxing Videos.

Here is one match from the Baby Bull (Juan Diaz in the navy blue trunks with white trim):

^ Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz vs. Michael Katsidis - Houston's own Juan Diaz is one of my personal favorite boxers. In addition to being a good boxer, he also wants to be an attorney. Juan Diaz fan? Become a Fan of Juan Diaz's Facebook Fan Page!

Here is Round 8 of the "Rumble in the Jungle" between M. Ali and George Foreman in 1974 in (the country once known as Zaire):




--- So... IS Boxing Dead? ---
Despite the fact that the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight will likely never happen, most people feel like boxing is too boring and one-dimensional. That's why more people have become fans of mixed-martial arts (MMA) over boxing. MMA entails hard-hitting offense utilizing a combination of strikes and grapples. It surely is exciting to watch, but I still love a good boxing match. Maybe because there aren't as many big-name stars in boxing and still boxing, not as many people care about boxing when most of the big names moved on from boxing (Mike Tyson among many others).

Dead, to me, means... DEAD. You know- nobody wants to get into the sport, nobody longer cares about the sport, nobody wants to follow the history of or learn more about the sport. And so I think boxing is only dead for those who think it's dead. Don't forget- boxing is not only a men's sport; there are also women who box. Most people don't usually think about the feminine side of most sports, which is usually why most people couldn't care less for the WNBA.

Therefore, I don't think boxing is as dead as what most people think it is. I have absolutely NOTHING against mixed-martial arts. Thing is, many people just aren't intrigued or interested anymore in a good boxing match. Boxing is still a competitive violent sport. I think it's easier taking in a boxing match than the most violent of MMA matches. I still love boxing. I don't watch boxing often (or especially any of the free TV fights) as I do pro wrestling, but I still have plenty of love for boxing. Boxing may be dead for many people, but not as dead as most people perceive it to be.





So do YOU think boxing is dead? Feel free to comment away and share my blog posts with friends!

Thank you for reading! Subscribe to my blog via FeedBurner (or any other aggregator in the sidebar)! Click on the graphics below to subscribe to both of my blogs, and also Become a Fan (or Like) my Facebook Fan Page:
* Subscribe to John's Blog Space!
* Subscribe to John's Shop Space! (http://jbmshopspace.blogspot.com)
* Subscribe to the all-new John's Gran Turismo Space! (http://johnsgtspace.blogspot.com)
Share this article

0 comments:

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work for my creative works studio JohnMarineDesigns? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Blog Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger