Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Exploring Chromebooks

John B. Marine | 9/07/2021 09:59:00 AM | | |
I been looking at my next PC options. I was considering having either a mini PC, or lately, I have looked into a Chromebook. Allow me to explain about my Chromebook interests for a moment. After a long time with Android tablets, and with somewhat giving up an Android TV boxes; I feel my next tech move would be towards Chromebooks. Chromebooks have come a long way. I usually dismissed them as cheaply-priced laptops on the Chrome OS interface. For this blog post, I will share with you my thoughts in regards to having interest in Chromebooks. Why would I want one? What am I looking for out of a Chromebook? I will explain as much as I can here in this blog post.






Exploring Chromebooks


Chromebook
^ from: (Intel) - A Chromebook can do a whole lot, and they have come a long way since their humble beginnings.

Chromebooks have come a long way. It used to be that Chromebooks were mostly an operating system based on the Chrome browser and had to be always connected online to work. Chromebooks have nowadays been solid basic laptops under Chrome OS. I even thought of if I could use a Chromebook to maybe use in installing a Linux distribution (or "Distro").

I was considering a Chromebook to replace my tablet PC experience. My Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Tab is not ancient or anything, I just wanted something more functional and maybe be able to play many of the fine Android games on a laptop. I heard Chromebooks could natively use some Android apps and games. When it comes to Linux distros, someone online told me whether or not I can use Linux on a Chromebook depends on if I have an ARM interface Chromebook or an x86 interface Chromebook.

So what am I looking for in a Chromebook? Find out in the next section.


What I am Looking For in a Chromebook.

I was doing some of my online research on a Chromebook. Here are some of the considerations I am making for a Chromebook:

• has a touchscreen
• has HDMI output (though I hear you can get USB Type C to HDMI adapters)
• is convertible
• I might prefer an x86 Chromebook and not an ARM Chromebook, but I never thought that far ahead.
• must cost $200 USD or less (before taxes)


I'd like to get a touchscreen Chromebook to have an experience similar to a big tablet PC. A tablet PC can be great in providing a slim PC experience in your hands. Same applies for a Chromebook. The only difference is that a Chromebook allows you have a more proper browsing experience also good for doing some basic computing duties. I basically want the same tablet PC experience but on a more laptop-like device. I also fancy a convertible Chromebook. A convertible Chromebook can have its screen be pushed all the way back and serve as a basic touchscreen unit. I also imagine it can make for a fine tablet-like experience for sites like YouTube. Because I want this to serve as a second PC, I would want it to be viewable on my other TV, so I also prefer to have the Chromebook have an HDMI output. I don't want to spend too much for a simple Chromebook. So for my budget, the budget I am considering is $200 USD (before taxes). If I had a little more money, I'd up my budget to a degree.

From my research mostly from Wal-Mart (or WalMart these days), the laptop fairly close to what I have been looking at is the Lenovo C340. I'd had some tough luck with Lenovo. I wanted to get an Yoga series Android tablet PC, but there was none in stock at the Wal-Mart I was at back then. And as of September 7, 2021; I heard the C340 is either no longer in stock or is discontinued (or maybe both). Wal-Mart sells stuff for much cheaper often times. I heard it comes in either Rose Gold or Silver. I prefer silver. I don't think this device has an HDMI output.


Would I Consider a "Chromebox?"

Much like there are Android TV boxes and mini PCs, there are also Chromeboxes. Chromeboxes are more like the Chrome OS equivalent of an Android TV box or a mini PC. They are very much a good idea towards being a second PC and can be discreet to have in a room. However, the tablet PC-like functionality and such are devoid on a Chromebox. You also can't find any real good mini PCs or such at places like Wal-Mart or Target. After a bad experience I had previously trying to get a Xiaomi Mi Box S through Wal-Mart, I am a bit skeptical about getting a proper piece of tech through the mail. And what if I wanted to travel with a Chromebox? It wouldn't be as good as using a Chromebook. I want something portable and useful in regards to Chrome OS, and a Chromebook does work better than a Chromebox. If the power goes out, I can still use a Chromebook offline. So I'll pass on a Chromebox.


(NOTE: You may participate in the next section, but your involvement is voluntary (meaning you do not have to take part in it if you do not want to). You may otherwise skip ahead to the outro.)

Considering a Chromebook or Chromebox Yourself?

To generate interest and even have a chance for my work to be supported, I'll provide these resources to you all. You can shop for these chromebooks on Amazon if you were intrigued by my blog post. (DISCLAIMER: Please read the "Affiliate Notes" section for important information regarding the following content.)

• For Chromebooks:


• For Chromeboxes...



Happy shopping (if doing any)! :) If I do indeed get a Chromebook, I will be sure to document my experiences with one and my thoughts overall on a Chromebook.





If you have any suggestions for me in regards to Chromebooks, please contact me, and I will be sure to take your advice into consideration. Actual USEFUL advice, please! Don't try to troll me or anything! Anyhow, Thank you for reading! Take care and be well.

Visit my official website at johnbmarine.com, subscribe to My Blog(s), and/or Follow on Bloglovin!
Subscribe to John's Blog Space (JBS) Subscribe to John's Creative Space (JCS) Subscribe to John's Race Space (JRS) Subscribe to StyleSpace (SS) Subscribe to John's Life Space (JLS)
Support My Creative Works!
JMDesigns Patreon Soundcloud Bandcamp Twitch OpenGameArt TurboSquid
Get Social With Me!
Facebook (Friends) Facebook (Fans) Twitter YouTube Pinterest LinkedIn (professionals only)
Questions or Comments? Contact Me (serious inquiries only)...
Contact Me via E-Mail
Share this article

0 comments:

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work for my creative works studio JohnMarineDesigns? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Blog Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger