Saturday, July 8, 2023

Refurbished Electronics

John B. Marine | 7/08/2023 01:31:00 AM | |
If you do not fancy the latest technology and lack sufficient funds, then refurbished electronics may just be for you. Refurbished electronics may not be "new," but they are appointed to be as good as new. Some refurbished electronics may even have specifications that are on par with (or sometimes exceeding) a lot of modern electronics. It is possible to get quality electronics for much less than modern electronics by buying refurbished. I will discuss refurbished electronics in this blog post.






Refurbished Electronics


Let me explain refurbished before I go any further.

refurbished electronics
^ from: (Quora) - Want electronics? Don't have sufficient funds? Consider refurbished electronics. After all, it was said the refurbished electronics market was $10B USD in 2018!

Understanding Refurbished.

It is a misconception to think of refurbished electronics as "used." Sure, maybe one device or devices may have had previous owner(s), but it does not mean you are buying a used product. However, a refurbished electronic product does not mean you are buying what someone else once used. Rather than recycle or destroy such electronics, a refurbished product is instead extensively revived and upgraded to the point where it feels like new. Refurbished electronics are more like products that are old or reached the end of their cycle and are reborn and enhanced. In some cases, older technology that is refurbished can sometimes be even better than it was previously.

Think of a refurbished product more like taking a rusted-out car and bringing it back to life with extensive modifications and modern parts. Is this restored car "new?" No. It is simply taking something old and giving it new life to where it is as good as new. This restored car in this analogy would not be sold as a "new" car, but its specifications would make it as good as any modern car sold at a car dealer.

Could you be taking a chance investing in something refurbished? While refurbished electronics may be enticing and thrifty, there is no guarantee that a refurbished electronics product will hold up long enough or be of great quality. You may buy a refurbished product that may fall apart after a few uses. Reputable dealers of electronics products will extensively test refurbished products for quality and endurance. Refurbished products have standard warranties to them and can be returned if they do not meet your specifications or satisfaction. Some dealers and retailers will allow you to purchase additional protection plans to cover the cost of things such as repair and maintenance. In addition, refurbishing electronics can result in increasing sustainability and cutting down on land waste.


Refurbished Price Difference.

If you were to compare a refurbished electronics product next to a modern one, would you take an older model over a modern one? A lot of people would probably take the modern one over the refurbished one. Not many people have the finances for most modern things. Just like with vehicles, people will buy used vehicles since they can not afford anything new. That is even if people do not engage themselves in financing plans that help alleviate the financial pain of buying anything new.


Latest vs. Refurbished in Perspective: PC Example.

Let me provide you some perspective. I want you to follow my lead. Assume the cheapest-priced desktop computer you can buy new from one dealer is priced at $300 USD. An online retailer offering refurbished computers for near the same price as the budget PC within about $250 USD to $285 USD. Which would you take?

If money were no object, a consumer would want the latest electronics because they are up-to-date, and you could have them serviced easily should you have a problem with the device. You also may get a better warranty of that latest electronic device than you would with something refurbished.

On the other hand, and especially in the case of something like a refurbished desktop PC, you might determine that you do not need the most modern technology for your money. Maybe you just want something that will suit you just fine at around the same price point. As long as you have decent finances and a decent base, you may elect to buy the refurbished product to save money and maybe even have a more capable item than the modern one at the same price point. It can be okay to take a chance with a refurbished product if you feel it is within your means.


Latest vs. Refurbished in Perspective: Smartphone Example.

Let me provide you more perspective. This time, I am looking at mobile devices such as smartphones. Assume a modern budget smartphone costs $150 USD when bought from a specific carrier or with a certain plan. For that same price point, you could get a refurbished smartphone that you can still use with any carrier you so choose.

Unlike the previous example, most mobile devices can not be easily upgraded to modern specifications with the most modern features. This means you may be stuck with (for example) an older operating system or older specifications than a modern version of its features. It would be best to go with a modern smartphone in this case so you can have the latest applications for it.

Some applications and/or games (if you are a mobile gamer) may not be compatible with older operating systems. Think about Android for a moment. A program that may be available for the "Ice Cream Sandwich" interface may not be compatible with the latest Android operating system. If you are willing to live with having some incompatible modern apps or games, then go the refurbished route. You may also be okay with a refurbished smartphone if you do not care for features like face recognition, NFC (near-field communications), heart monitors, and things of that nature. A refurbished mobile device also may not allow you to expand its memory. In other words, a one terabyte microSD card may not work for an older smartphone or tablet PC. You are still getting a smartphone that will handle its smartphone duties.

The main point of this section is to show that you will have to live with whatever you decide to buy between one of the latest smartphones and a refurbished smartphone. It will still handle its duty and serve its purpose. You are only deciding whether you want to go with modern material or be okay with older material.




Refurbished Electronics: My Journey


There is a reason why I created this blog post besides discussion of refurbished electronics. The reason I brought up this topic is because I have wanted to get a more capable PC. It would be best for me to get one from a brick-and-mortar store so I can have the latest material. However, I been searching online for a refurbished PC. Certain refurbished PCs are within a certain budget I have, and some of the ones that have most interested me seem more than enough for my needs. I normally am not an online shopper. Though, some of these deals are best shared online.


My Refurbished Experiences.

Refurbished products are nothing new to me. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Player 3.6 model and the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 model as refurbished. Both products lasted me for some time and were well enjoyed by me. So I have experience with refurbished products and knowing the pros and cons of such devices. This was at a time where I was convinced about the Samsung Galaxy Player over the iPod Touch I considered back then.


My Next Refurbished Experience.

Now lies a more ambitious plan for me- buying a refurbished PC. My current PC has 4 GB of RAM and a 1.99 GHz processor with four cores. I looked at what PC specifications would have to be met for me to enjoy computing in more modern times. Through my research, for me to get a better PC, it has to have at least 8 GB of RAM and at least a 2.9 GHz processor (regardless of how many cores). A PC with 16 GB of RAM would be recommended, and 32 GB of RAM would futureproof me for some time. I saw some refurbished PCs on Amazon that have anywhere between 3.2 GHz processors or up to 3.9 GHz processors. Some of the ones within budget I saw had about 3.4 GHz processors max with 16 GB of RAM.

The one thing I would have to get adjusted to is using a SSD (solid-state drive) aside from the old fan-driven hard drives. Since I have two external hard drives with 1 terabyte of memory and another with 4 terabytes of memory respectively, extra memory will not be too much a problem for me.

Besides memory and processor considerations, I also wouldn't mind an HD monitor with a better refresh rate than the one I am using currently. I may just have to adjust the frames per second settings for some programs to better take advantage of my current monitor. It would be great if I could do this more consistently with all or most of certain programs.

A better refurbished PC can even bring me into modern times gaming. Despite the fact some refurbished PCs may not be able to play most modern AAA-level games out the box, some people upgrade their refurbished systems with newer hardware. Some gamers buy certain graphics processing units (GPUs) able to take advantage of modern gaming titles. Additionally, they may upgrade the RAM, processors, and power supply to take advantage of the better hardware. I do not have plans to get a GPU in case whatever refurbished PC I get unless I was gifted a compatible GPU or feel a GPU is necessary to use for gaming. I am also not a real gamer anyhow. So I don't really care about playing certain intense games like "Elden Ring."

I do not go into considering a refurbished device without the fear that whatever refurbished products I get may not last or hold for as long as I would like. A computer is a big investment. Most computers will last most people between 5-8 years before wanting to get something better. You had better get your money's worth when considering a purchase like a computer (let alone refurbished). That is why I am looking to trusted retailers, which is why I am considering shopping on Amazon for a refurbished PC. eBay and other places seem more risky for me online than Amazon.




Refurbished Electronics: Final Thoughts


Consider all factors before thinking about buying refurbished electronics. Refurbished electronics allow you to enjoy quality electronic products without paying high dollar for the latest technologies. Refurbished electronics may also be on par with or better than a lot of the latest products. The one thing to be mindful of is that certain refurbished goods might not be of complete quality, and you may risk buying something that may fall short of what you were hoping for. Consider the refurbished electronics market if your finances disallow you from having the latest technology. Some refurbished products can exceed some of the latest products despite being old and reborn regardless of price points.

What should be most appreciated about refurbished products is in seeing older products bring brought back to new life and enhanced rather than entirely recycled or trashed. The fact you could get even better electronics from an older product at a certain price point than similar items is worthy of love. Even when a lot of people are penny-pinching, refurbished electronics can be a great option to consider for those who may not have the finances for any of the latest technologies.


Refurbished Electronics Online.

Are you interested in refurbished electronics? Here are some online retailers I curated for you to purchase certified refurbished electronics. Visit these sites:

Amazon Renewed
eBay Refurbished
Walmart Restored
Newegg Refurbished
Micro Center Refurbished
Microsoft Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished Products - Apple
Back Market

Happy shopping! :)





I hope you have found some great value in this blog post. Good luck to you all if you are interested in refurbished electronics shopping. Hopefully you find the electronics you are looking for. If you enjoy my work, please Subscribe/Follow my blog(s) in any capacity if you love my work and want to support me any way you can. Share my blog post(s) with others if you enjoy my work. Thank you for reading! Take care and be well.

Visit my JohnMarineDesigns Weebly site, subscribe to My Blog(s), and/or Follow on Bloglovin! Let's connect:
Contact Me via E-Mail Contact Me via Discord

(donations are voluntary)
Visit and Subscribe to My Blogs...
Subscribe to John's Blog Space (JBS) Subscribe to John's Creative Space (JCS) Subscribe to John's Race Space (JRS) Subscribe to StyleSpace (SS) Subscribe to John's Life Space (JLS)
Get Social With Me!
Facebook (Friends) Facebook (Fans) Twitter YouTube
Pinterest LinkedIn (professionals only) TikTok Discord
Support My Creative Works!
JMDesigns John on Envato
Patreon Soundcloud Bandcamp
Twitch OpenGameArt TurboSquid
Share this article

0 comments:

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work for my creative works studio JohnMarineDesigns? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Blog Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger