Friday, April 29, 2011

Bully Beatdown

John B. Marine | 4/29/2011 05:05:00 PM | | |
(UPDATED: Febuary 15, 2012)

Sometimes, you want to watch certain shows to see what they are about. Sometimes, you want to give something new a try. So judging on this blog post's title, you know what I'm talking about. This is a show called "Bully Beatdown." This is basically a show where people who get bullied on have people get put into a mixed martial arts (MMA) cage against a real MMA fighter. What do I think about this show? That's what you're about to find out in this blog post.

This is the yet another blog post I did concerning an MTV show since talking about "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and "America's Best Dance Crew" in past blog posts.





--- Bully Beatdown at a Glance ---

Bully Beatdown
^ from: www.mmagospel.com - Bully Beatdown - where bullies meet their match against MMA fighters.

I've watched only two shows. Well actually, 1.5 episodes. I was watching wrestling and switched over to MTV2 when wrestling was off. The first episode I saw was of a bully girl named Amanda that bullied a girl named Keiko. Then, it was this (first time I ever used this word in my blog) douchebag named Kevin who has a pompadour hairstyle with greased-over hair who bullied two guys. Amanda had to go against the "karate hottie" Michelle Waterson, and Kevin had to go against Tyron "T-Wood" Woodley.

The venue is somewhat like an underground fight club as a King of the Cage octagon is where the action takes place. Anyone who may watch MTV2 (especially in recent times) may know of MTV2 showing the Bellator fighting tournament. So this would be a nice tie-in for promotion of mixed martial arts on the MTV networks. The host of Bully Beatdown is Mark Burnett, who often confronts these bullies as well as root on the MMA fighters.



--- How Bully Beatdown Works ---

Here's how the show breaks down:

The bully beating down takes place in two individual matches at five minutes each. The first round is grapples only (no striking allowed). The second round is a straight-up kickboxing match. In the first round, the bully starts with $5K USD and loses $1K each time the he/she taps out to the MMA professional. The $1K goes to the bullying victim(s) for each tapout within the five-minute frame. In the second round, if the bully manages to last five minutes against the MMA fighter in a straight-up kickboxing match, he/she wins $5K. But if the bully gets knocked out, gives up, or if the referee has to stop the fight; the bully gives up $5K USD to the bullying victim(s).

So this is basically a challenge of if a bully can stand a total of ten minutes against a real MMA fighter. Sort of like the MMA fighters being enforcers to people whom have been bullied. Everyone is at least 18 years old for what I know. Therefore, it isn't like Elementary and Secondary school kids are called up to be beaten down by MMA fighters.



--- Personal Opinions of This Concept ---

"Bully Beatdown" is different as a concept. Rather than verbally confront bullies on most shows, bullies are confronted by MMA fighters in a test of toughness. This is more like a reality check for bullies who think they are tougher than everybody else. This show is different since there is actual physical contact against such perpetrators as opposed to a talking-to on most other shows.

There are two dynamics that concern me here. The first dynamic pertains to not being able to defend for yourself or try to handle someone according, and the other is on showcasing MMA fighters in this sort of way "Bully Beatdown" does.

"Bully Beatdown" Concept: Can't Fend for Oneself.

I'd personally feel bad knowing I could have handled somebody myself without needing to bring someone to a national TV show to go against an MMA fighter. I've dealt with my own share of idiots at school and in life. Even if at the expense of getting into trouble, I have to fend for myself.

"Bully Beatdown" Concept: MMA Promotion.

If anything, MMA fighters are being seen more as enforcers in this show. MMA involves both striking attacks in addition to graples. One has to have agility as well as good upper and lower body strength. The dynamics of MMA are much different from boxing because you have to utilize an equal balance of lower and upper body strength. Of course in boxing, it helps to be quick on your feet.

Also, it isn't like the MMA fighters are doing any tremendously serious contact to (essentially) unconditioned athletes. The contact and everything is real, but not any of the serious contact grapples and strikes you would normally see in a proper MMA fight. There are some more intense manuvers (not that I am a regular watcher of MMA fights) that can really cripple and badly injure any unconditioned person or athlete.


If anything, this is a show where people who think they are so tough meet their match against conditioned fighters. This is a radical concept to showcase the toughness of MMA fighters while also teaching lesser folk not to mess with MMA fighters. It would be strange if a show like "Bully Beatdown" can encourage average folk (like you and I) to stand up for ourselves better against bullies and against other would-be foes through hand-to-hand combat. That potential and that drive are certainly there. It isn't some show with whiny people who have nothing better to say than "what the hell!?" So it's a pretty cool concept. I just feel sorry for the bullies who get called out to be on "Bully Beatdown" to take a pounding they so deserve.

My YouTube viewers may remember my "Abusive and Controlling Men" video (as well as my blog post of the same name). If I were the producer of "Bully Beatdown," I'd change the theme of the show from handling bullies to handling men who treat their women like slaves/garbage/property. Otherwise, this is a completely different concept from what one would normally see in justice served to guilty parties for their actions.

"Bully Beatdown" is a show to check out if you want to see something a bit different on TV. Take it from yours truly.





Learn more about Bully Beatdown (as well as other MTV and MTV2 shows) by visiting www.mtv.com and its full list of shows.

Thank you for reading! Don't just visit my blog without showing your support if you love my work! Let me know if my blog posts and other material mean something to you. The least you can do is subscribe and follow. I can use more fans and more Followers. Want to contribute? Here's how:

Love John's Blog Space? If so (and if you haven't yet subscribed or followed), Subscribe and/or Follow! Become a Fan (or Like) my Facebook Fan Page and subscribe this blog (and my others) via FeedBurner (or any other aggregator in the sidebar)! Visit (or subscribe):
Subscribe to John's Blog Space!
Subscribe to John's Shop Space! (http://jbmshopspace.blogspot.com)
Subscribe to John's Gran Turismo Space! (http://johnsgtspace.blogspot.com)
Share this article

0 comments:

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work for my creative works studio JohnMarineDesigns? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Blog Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger