Thursday, February 17, 2011

Speak Now

John B. Marine | 2/17/2011 11:38:00 PM | | | |
This is not the first blog post of mine related to or inspired by Taylor Swift. I bought "Speak Now" from a WalMart store yesterday. Many have questioned Taylor Swift calling people out the way she did in these songs. For example, "Dear John" is (thankfully) not about me, but John Mayer. My reaction to this CD was pretty interesting. The most unusual thing about this blog post is that I am a guy- so my reaction to something like this will be quite a ways different from how most females would perceive this album. Perhaps I need to do more music CD reviews, but I will blog about this CD with my own commentary. What do I think of this CD from the country cutie from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania? Read on!





--- Speak Now ---
Here is the cover of this CD:

Taylor Swift Speak Now
^ from: amazon.com - Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" CD cover.

Before I tell you about my thoughts on this CD, let me read a little excerpt from the CD cover:

"What you will say might be too much for some people. Maybe it will come out all wrong and you'll stutter and you'll walk away embarrassed, wincing as you play it all back in your head. But I think the words you stop yourself from saying are the ones that will haunt you the longest."

-Taylor Swift, from the "Speak Now" CD jacket

Having said this, this CD is the most hard-hitting album ever from Taylor Swift. It is hard hitting both with the music and with most of the passion in these songs. One thing you have to appreciate about Taylor is how she isn't passive in expressing herself. Perhaps another thing- she expresses herself without the need for any raunchy language or suggestive themes. I think you need to read the CD jacket inside to understand the meaning of Speak Now and what the album is all about. Taylor delivers some powerful material in her songs. She lives up to the "Speak Now" aspect with a fearless, impervious, and unapologetic manner.


Calling Out Boys in Songs: Fair or Foul?

I've read magazines asking if it's fair or foul for Taylor Swift to call guys out like she does in songs. Some say it's fair while others would cry foul. I think this is part of Taylor's personality in songs. I think Taylor Swift is one of the most well-natured people anywhere in the world. She is sensational in singing and in entertainment. However, when armed with a guitar and performing her music, she is one of the most expressive and most entertaining personalities in music. "Speak Now" encapsulates this completely. If you are a Taylor Swift fan, this CD is much different from what she brought to her debut CD and in "Fearless."

On a different end, Taylor Swift's songs about boys is something different from most of the suggestive, raunchy, violent, tasteless tones some other artists express in songs. Some have complained that this is all Taylor sings about. However, most would rather hear songs about something different than what most other popular artists and groups sing and make songs about. So it goes both ways in my view.

Remember what I typed earlier- I'm talking about this CD from a male perspective. I'd hate to have a diss-worthy song about me being made, but I'd be just as upset as most guys would be if I did some girl wrong (or at least have no idea I've done her wrong). I'd just hate to have a song about me or with elements involving past relationships. There are two ways to think about this- (1) do your girl right 24/7 and all year! (2) Unless your girlfriend is just tough to please, just make the most of your relationship as best as you can. Or maybe... a relationship just will never work or wasn't meant to work. This is more of Taylor Swift's way of revenge while also giving some insight to other girls who may or may not be faced with such situations in love.

Whether or not you see calling out boys in songs as fair or foul depends on what you think overall. I, for one, think there are two sides to every story and every conflict. Taylor will call hers in her songs. So if I had to choose fair or foul to be called out in a song... fair (as long as it's not me that's the subject of the song).



You at least have my word- "Speak Now" is a great CD. This CD consists of 14 songs, including the title track, "Speak Now." Here is the track list:

"Speak Now" Track List:
1. Mine
2. Sparks Fly
3. Back to December
4. Speak Now
5. Dear John
6. Mean
7. The Story of Me
8. Never Grow Up
9. Enchanted
10. Better Than Revenge
11. Innocent
12. Haunted
13. Last Kiss
14. Long Live


This CD is classic Taylor Swift goodness. Classic goodness that is probably the most hard-hitting Taylor Swift music ever.





Thanks for reading! If you want to get "Speak Now" online, get this CD on Amazon here:


Or use this widget for more Taylor Swift goodness on Amazon:




A Related Read (and a Preview).

Now for some insight from a friend. If you want an idea about one of the songs from this CD, my blogging friend named Gabriella made a blog post regarding her thoughts on "Enchanted," which was met with a cover song by Adam Young of Owl City ("Enchanted" was about Adam Young). You can read more about it and get a preview of "Enchanted " by reading "Wonder-Struck" by Principessa Gabriella.


Subscribe to my blog via FeedBurner (or any other aggregator in the sidebar)! Click on the graphics below to subscribe to both of my blogs, and also Become a Fan (or Like) my Facebook Fan Page:
* Subscribe to John's Blog Space!
* Subscribe to John's Shop Space! (http://jbmshopspace.blogspot.com)
* Subscribe to the all-new John's Gran Turismo Space! (http://johnsgtspace.blogspot.com)
Share this article

1 comments:

John B. Marine said...

I love Taylor's "Speak Now" album, I'm pretty sure I've memorized the whole thing from listening to it so much, lol! I think it's fair for her to talk about what happened with guys in her life in her songs, she has a right to free speech, plus that's sort of what she's known for singing about and she never says anything that's really mean. People seem to like it. Thanks for linking my post too! :)

- Principessa Gabriella

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work for my creative works studio JohnMarineDesigns? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Blog Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger